Sat05Dec201510:30 am - NoonRedondo Beach Main Library
South Bay Local Writers Group: Guest Speaker, "Building Your Online Presence"
Building a credible presence on the web is critical for any author, regardless if they intend to self-publish or pursue the traditional agent/publisher route. For our December meeting, small-business consultant Bo Folsom will discuss what you need to know in order to establish your own author platform on the internet.
Whether you'd like to build your own site(s) or pay to get it done, you should have the basic knowledge needed to make it happen. Learn the essentials in this interactive, informative session. Topics will include:
- Acquiring your domain name(s), such as www.BoFolsom.com or writing.SouthBayHQ.com;
- Selecting a hosting provider (the servers where your code resides);
- Considerations for building your site and/or blog (e.g., WordPress, HTML, etc.);
- The three elements of a quality site (content, functionality, and appearance);
- Search engine optimization (how Google, etc., directs people to you);
- How to make your web site work alongside Facebook, Twitter, and other social media tools to coordinate your online presence as an author.
Calling all writers for an opportunity to get together with other writers in a casual setting to help keep you motivated and productive.
Explore writing topics you want to learn more about, such as query letters, critiquing of each others works, beta-readers, editing, etc.
The monthly large-group meetups are a great opportunity for writers who want to share information, get feedback on ideas and writing, and give and receive some support and encouragement.
Stanton Swafford, the monthly meetup's coordinator, is a Los Angeles native and world traveler, US Navy Veteran, former undercover intelligence officer and jazz musician. He recently completed his debut novel, an espionage thriller, titled China Sea.